Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens are getting layer feed. But my Rooster acts as if his feet hurt.

I picked him up and they look good. He is missing almost all of one claw, but it doesn't look bad.

I had had some lameness of one hen a while back, and after some research decided to switch to a high protein grower feed. That did cure the problem completely. After feeding maybe 6 bags of the grower(I think that took 2 months), I went back to layer.

And today I notice the rooster being a bit lame.

Why is this happening?

It is cold here, but not horrid. It was 6 degrees at 8:30am, it is now up to 20 at noonish.

I have ducks and chickens. The chickens are light Brahmas (11) and then 4 easter eggers. None of the EEs have had problems.

Feed and water is given free choice. I use heated waterers, so the water is never too cold.

The Brahmas have such giant feet, especially when compared with the EEs, it is hard to believe they are having any problems with the cold.

What is going wrong? Should I switch back to the layer?

But the feet look great....except for the missing nail. And you would think the EEs would have frostbite before those giant Brahma feet.

also, I had a similar problem with a pullet a while back.

Worse foot:
DSC01575.JPG

Other foot:
DSC01577.JPG

Both feet:
DSC01578.JPG

And the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75288

(Sorry for so many seperate posts!)

Also, is it possible he is limping merely becuase of the missing toe? I don't know what to say about the hen, though. Bumblefoot is contagious.

Thanks for the great pictures.

It is true that I ate one of my ducks for Christmas and there was an odd spot on the duck foot. I couldn't figure it out since we clean the house about once a month, and the poop is all frozen anyway. Also, the snow in the run looks pretty clean and nice.

That is why I was wondering if it was a feed issue, if those giant Brahma need more protein to keep their bodies working.

Actually, bumblefoot is not contagious from bird to bird. Staph is in the soil and a scrape on the foot will allow it in, but it's not passed from bird to bird like a respiratory infection.
A torn nail will hurt like heck and make them limp, too. Believe me, I've had several tear off part of a nail and it bled forever and stayed sore for quite awhile.

Quote:
Maybe that is it then. It would make sense since the nail is broken off just as short as could be.

I didn't see any blood anywhere....but maybe since it is so cold it clotted quickly????

But no one thinks that these giant Brahmas need higher protein or something else in the winter?

I guess since our horses get higher protein in the winter than in the summer I am stuck on that.
roll.png
(I do know that horses aren't chickens)

Back
Top Bottom