Feeding advice

watupwitthat

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
I need advice about switching my birds to layer feed. I started late with purchasing my chicks. My birds are currently on non medicated starter grower. They have reached 24 weeks and have not started laying, probably due to the season change (cold and less daylight) should I just keep them on the starter/grower until the weather warms up and they start laying? Another question I would like some input on is what happens if a couple start laying and the others don't, do I feed them all layer feed? The breeds are, Rode Island Red, Buff Orthington, and Plymouth Rock. Thanks so much!!

yep, just feed grower to them and offer oyster shell on the side, that way everyone can dose their calcium intake according to what they need. It really is the best way to feed a flock, if you have mixed ages/breeds that all lay differently and maybe roosters.

yep, just feed grower to them and offer oyster shell on the side, that way everyone can dose their calcium intake according to what they need. It really is the best way to feed a flock, if you have mixed ages/breeds that all lay differently and maybe roosters.
Thank you

You can keep them on grower indefinitely, as long as you provide calcium on the side for whoever is laying. I don't like layer feeds with the pre-added extra calcium - it forces a flat ratio of it on all chickens equally, and their needs aren't equal. The chickens are very good at regulating their intake if they have the calcium separately. So I've never used layer feed and never will. I feed an all flock type of feed (Purina flock raiser) with calcium on the side. Grower feed will achieve the same. The only meaningful difference between all the feeds anyway is whether they have pre-added extra calcium or not, and the protein percentage. Another thing I don't like about layer feeds is that they are often very low in protein - 16-17%, which is the minimum, not the optimal amount. Grower and all flock feeds are higher in protein. Mine is 20% and works for everybody - growing chicks, laying hens, molting chickens etc.

Hi. You do't know me. We here on the feed forum at BYC are largely of the All Flock/Flock raiser for all birds of all genders and all ages at all times, with fresh clean water and free choice oyster shell for your layers as best practice. Some of the reasons above, which I join fully.

If you want more reasons, please see here, and here, and here , and here.

We've given this a bit of thought. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom