Weaning myself from

Crusty McPottydoodle

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 14, 2009
The Wet Coast
Microsoft.

I've always used Eudora for email. I switched to Firefox for browsing about 5 years ago.

Yesterday I bought my new Toshiba Netbook (NB200-002). One of the deciding factors was that it came with XP installed rather than Vista.

I was going to install my copy of MS Office 2000, but decided that I was going to download Open Office instead. Documents can be saved in a number of MS Office formats among a variety of others.

I even went so far as to uninstall the trial copy of MS Office along with MS Works which came loaded on the machine.

I don't think I am quite ready to make the jump to Ubuntu for my operating system, but it is something to think about. Had Vista been the only option available, I would definitely have switched over to Ubuntu.

Who else is using alternatives to MS? What are you using and what do you like/dislike about it?

Well, I'm certainly not an Apple fan but I literally HATE Vista. Loved XP... it was alot like Windows 98.

Sometimes it's just best not to mess with brilliant...which is what XP was.

A friend of mine came over the other day and updated my system to Windows 7. A lot of people don't know about it, but it is newer than vista and runs sooo much better. I brought up a google search on it, so I'm sure anyone else should be able to do the same if interested. I'm surprised more people haven't made the switch! My computer is running soooo much faster. The best part about it is that you can upgrade from vista to windows 7 without reformatting the hard drive. Basically that means you can keep all your stuff on the computer and still change over to 7.

Quote:
It's not that I haven't heard of W7. I am one of those who will not upgrade to a new microsoft o/s until it they have had time to fix all the major flaws etc. I didn't upgrade to XP from 98 until after SP 2 was released.

Also, if I run the risk of having to replace software because an o/s can't handle what I currently use, then I am more than happy to make the switch to Ubuntu (which Feller has been trying to get me to do for over a year now).

Back
Top Bottom