Wearing red?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by polishchickens111, Jun 1, 2011.

1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I read that chickens are attracted to the color red. If I wear red clothing when raising baby chicks, will they become less wary of people, or even friendlier?

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

They will probably peck you a lot. They are attracted to red and bright colors and objects, which makes them think "good to eat."

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    that's a good ? and I'd b interested to hear some1's opinion on that. I know that I had a few bug bites on my arms a few weeks ago when they were still in the brooder and of course they were red becuz I was scratching them [​IMG] and they kept jumping up trying to peck me on those spots! [​IMG]

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I sometimes wore my red plaid pajamas when I went down at night to give them their cuddles before bedtime and some of them started to dust bathe on them. They seemed to like that red plaid flannel!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Chickens already think we're good to eat. They just aren't smart enough to figure out how to take us down without a fight.....

but they're working on it. [​IMG]

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a friend that if she wears red to the coop the rooster takes after her.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've noticed that they are quite sensitive to color. When we have new pullets in the barn it takes them quite while to get used to us walking through the barn. I typically wear jeans and a darker colored t-shirt, but I notice that they will freak out and be quite flighty when I am wearing brighter clothes.

8. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Chickens already think we're good to eat. They just aren't smart enough to figure out how to take us down without a fight.....

So that's why some of the girls have been eyeballing me...yikes [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Quote:Chickens already think we're good to eat. They just aren't smart enough to figure out how to take us down without a fight.....

[​IMG]

10. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada

Ok that's funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by