Weasel still under the duck house

Dori47

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
I came home tonight to a racket. One duck was out of the run ( it isn’t covered and they can fly, just usually don’t) two dead ducks and the rest freaked out. The weasel is under the duck house and hissing at me. The ducks are in the house, but the door isn’t tight( rat chewed a hole in the bottom) do I leave the two dead ducks in the pen so the weasel at least leaves the other live ducks alone or get rid of them to reduce other predators? I have a live trap out there, and tried to chase the weasel off but it won’t leave while there is food around!

I poked at it with a stick, sent the dogs in ( they were afraid of it too) we have raccoons, cougars. And now I stink like weasel, which is not as bad as skunk, but worse than ferret

Remove one dead duck. Put the other in the live trap. He may not go in. Weasels are cunning, very smart! Some people have to hide the live trap within bales of hay to catch it. He won't go away until he kills all the witnesses. Can you attach a piece of plywood to the door to cover the rat hole? If possible, I would keep everyone in the coop until the weasel is dead or goes away because it can't get any other food.

I have killed a weasel in a rat trap by mistake (meant to be), the rat trap got snagged and the weasel couldn't escape. Another weasel eventually went away after a week because the rooster wouldn't even let the hens out of the coop into the predator proof run, so I just closed the plank so they felt less stressed.

Oh my! Can you move your live duck(s) to a safe location for the night, and can you (or someone) shoot the intruder? After dispatching the weasel, of course remove the dead ducks. And the of course, seal up any holes so this doesn't happen again, if possible? So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom