1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

weasel?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rudysmom, Apr 14, 2009.

1. rudysmom

rudysmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Dexter, MN
    I have had four chickens killed inside the coop at night the last week. They just have their heads chewed off, and necks chewed on. Does anyone think it could be a weasel? My coop is lined with 3/4 inch wire, but there must be an opening somewhere. I put out a live trap with peanuts (my hubbies idea) last night, not touched but there was another dead chicken. Any help would be appreciated!

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    ugh. so sorry. I think coons'll do that too. And fisher cats, but I don't know if you have those?

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Definitely sounds like a weasel. If you have your coop as well protected as you say, a coon likely wouldn't be able to get in. A weasel will be able to get through holes that most people would never believe.

Peanuts will never attract a weasel, or most other predators for that matter. Weasels thrive on fresh blood, and usually attack the heads of birds, since there is a huge amount of blood flow through the head/neck area.

There is another possibility, and that is that a mink might be doing the killing. Mink are also able to get through tiny holes. However, a mink most likely would have killed all your birds. Mink are notorious for killing just for the fun of it.

I would try using a smelly type bait, such as a can of tuna, or something similar. If you have a trapper in your area, he likely would have some mink lure, and that should also help to attract a weasel. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by