Weasels and Minks Anyone?

I have a short tailed weasel. I have seen it and it leaves tracks in the snow. Last night my dogs went nuts. This morning I noticed it had climbed my 6 ft chain link fence and ran at least 30 feet along the top before jumping down and running around my sheds. I was devastated my birds are in a chain link kennel with a welded wire top. Obviously, they will climb any height. it has walked right up to my coop door which has big gaps. So far it hasn't walked in.

I did the Hardware cloth for the run about four foot above and one foot below the ground. I also am on weasel family lock down here in upper Peninsula Michigan. I've caught two white weasels and one mink, but now am battling a fisher cat, based on the prints around the coop. The fisher, I've seen were it was trying to break into the hard wire coop yard but it's held up, but the darn thing won't go near the traps I've set. We've been doing night patrols, but it's very elusive, the farm next to us lost two chickens the other day, not sure if it's the same fisher stalking our place.. They seem to think it was a fox.

I've set more traps, will do another all nighted again, plus I've set two trail cam's in the woods next to some trails the prints are at.

agrrrh!!

What kind of traps? Never known them to be too shy of a foothold but you probably aren't using those around livestock. A co-worker claims the best luck he has with box traps is traps that previously caught a skunk, the next YEAR he says he can't keep fisher out. Believe you can buy skunk spray in a bottle.

When I lived in Da U.P. and trapped we actually had trouble keeping fisher out, the season on them was short and you would always catch a few out of season, releasing them is nerve wracking to say the least.

Weasels and mink can climb I would assume they could easily climb hardware cloth and go over the top of they wanted to do so.

If you do have a weasel I would try to trap it, build a box with about a1 inch hole in it place a large rat trap inside just inside the hole bait with liver. Weasels love going in dark holes like that if that's what you've got that should get him.

If one has a pet store nearby, pick up some mice. Cut .5" hardware cloth into sections and use cable ties to cobble together a "mouse box". Place mice in box, place box in back of live trap.

What kind of traps? Never known them to be too shy of a foothold but you probably aren't using those around livestock. A co-worker claims the best luck he has with box traps is traps that previously caught a skunk, the next YEAR he says he can't keep fisher out. Believe you can buy skunk spray in a bottle.

When I lived in Da U.P. and trapped we actually had trouble keeping fisher out, the season on them was short and you would always catch a few out of season, releasing them is nerve wracking to say the least.
We are using a trap with tuna in the back of it. It's live trap one. I will go check out a foothold trap tomorrow, can I get one at Tractor supply? We checked this morning, no fisher. :( Skunk spray, must go look for that too.

Footholds require a little more knowledge to set, Fleet Farm tends to carry them. Has anything sniffed the tuna from the outside? Tracks?

I did the Hardware cloth for the run about four foot above and one foot below the ground.   I also am on weasel family lock down here in upper Peninsula  Michigan.   I've caught two white weasels and one mink, but now am battling a fisher cat, based on the prints around the coop.   The fisher, I've seen were it was trying to break into the hard wire coop yard but it's held up, but the darn thing won't go near the traps I've set.   We've been doing night patrols, but it's very elusive, the farm next to us lost two chickens the other day, not sure if it's the same fisher stalking our place..   They seem to think it was a fox.  

I've set more traps, will do another all nighted again, plus I've set two trail cam's in the woods next to some trails the prints are at.  

agrrrh!!

What kind of traps have you set for your Fisher? I suggest building a wooden box set with a conibear inside. You can Google it for ideas, you would be using a larger conibear so the box should be large enough to prevent dogs from getting their head in it or else set the box up on a leaning tree so dogs can't get in it because a conibear will kill them.

Last edited:
If your run is completely covered in hardware cloth and 1 foot deep in ground why are you trapping? For fun or for the fur? It's not for protection of birds so curious as to why.

We've weasels, fisher cat and the list goes on here. Yet to see mink but sure they are around too. I'm not sure why I would trap them. They come and go and my birds are safe if I don't leave feed out in the run so bear come again.

What kind of traps have you set for your Fisher? I suggest building a wooden box set with a conibear inside. You can Google it for ideas, you would be using a larger conibear so the box should be looking enough to prevent dogs from getting their head in it or else set the box up on a leaning tree so dogs can't get in it because a conibear will kill them.

What kind of traps have you set for your Fisher? I suggest building a wooden box set with a conibear inside. You can Google it for ideas, you would be using a larger conibear so the box should be looking enough to prevent dogs from getting their head in it or else set the box up on a leaning tree so dogs can't get in it because a conibear will kill them.
As of now, nothing. Was at the local Breakfast place and all us locals were swapping stories and our local DNR agent said that the season for fisher was over, but he would look up to see if I can hunt fisher trying to attack my chickens. So I am waiting to see what I can legally do about it :(
If your run is completely covered in hardware cloth and 1 foot deep in ground why are you trapping? For fun or for the fur? It's not for protection of birds so curious as to why.

We've weasels, fisher cat and the list goes on here. Yet to see mink but sure they are around too. I'm not sure why I would trap them. They come and go and my birds are safe if I don't leave feed out in the run so bear come again.
We have nothing on top, ran out of money to cover the top of the coop yard. The Coop it's self when the doors are closed and locked is secure.

Back
Top Bottom