Weasles

Quiggy

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
One of my chickens was attacked while I was at work, shes alive surprisingly but her top beak is missing, and her head is pretty much missing all feathers. A farmer friend was 99% sure it was a weasle. What do I do if it is?

If your birds were in their coop and run, it's not predator proof enough. If they were outside, they need to be confined safely until this issue is resolved.
Generally weasels are much more efficient killers, and take multiple birds if possible. I suppose that this could have been a very inept youngster though.
A raptor might have tried and failed, and then the plan is to keep the flock inside for two weeks or so, until the offending hawk leaves.
Setting a game camera out there will be very helpful!
Meat will trap any carnivore, including the neighbor's pet cats.
Have a plan for what to do with any varmit you actually catch first! In most of the USA, relocating foxes, opossums, and foxes, at least is illegal. So, it's trap and shoot, or don't trap at all.
Good luck!
Mary

If your birds were in their coop and run, it's not predator proof enough. If they were outside, they need to be confined safely until this issue is resolved.
Generally weasels are much more efficient killers, and take multiple birds if possible. I suppose that this could have been a very inept youngster though.
A raptor might have tried and failed, and then the plan is to keep the flock inside for two weeks or so, until the offending hawk leaves.
Setting a game camera out there will be very helpful!
Meat will trap any carnivore, including the neighbor's pet cats.
Have a plan for what to do with any varmit you actually catch first! In most of the USA, relocating foxes, opossums, and foxes, at least is illegal. So, it's trap and shoot, or don't trap at all.
Good luck!
Mary
They're all free range in my yard, including turkeys ducks and goats, I left the door open to where she was which was ignorant on my part. So just keep them all inside their houses until I catch it?

They're all free range in my yard, including turkeys ducks and goats, I left the door open to where she was which was ignorant on my part. So just keep them all inside their houses until I catch it?
Do you have a picture of the bird? That’s not a small feat for a weasel. That would be pretty easy for a raccoon though.

Do you have a picture of the bird? That’s not a small feat for a weasel. That would be pretty easy for a raccoon though.
This is her currently. Shes still a chick. But she lost one of her legs so shes much smaller than the others.

Attachments

• 16036463199425890348218386650271.jpg
    16036463199425890348218386650271.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom