Weasles

Quiggy

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
One of my chickens was attacked while I was at work, shes alive surprisingly but her top beak is missing, and her head is pretty much missing all feathers. A farmer friend was 99% sure it was a weasle. What do I do if it is?

Do you have a picture of the bird? That’s not a small feat for a weasel. That would be pretty easy for a raccoon though.
This is her currently. Shes still a chick. But she lost one of her legs so shes much smaller than the others.

Attachments

• 16036463199425890348218386650271.jpg
    16036463199425890348218386650271.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 13
Hmm. Does kinda look like a weasel or a mink. How did she lose the leg? Where about do you live? State or country is fine. Weasels are much more prevalent in northern states.
Massachusetts, near New Hampshire. And it was an accident when we first got her, nothing to do with predators, it got caught on something and that was the only solution.

Sad to say but when you free range, that is the risk you take. Sooner or later when free ranging you will loose a bird/birds. I'm sure the varmint will be back. I have several game cameras up. I love my cameras. I would set both live traps and rat traps. Look on YouTube. I saw a video not long ago about catching a weasel in a rat trap like @roosterhavoc said. Worked like a charm. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom