Mysterious Massacre

mjsmomma07

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2019
I had 12 hens and 2 Roos. Something got almost all of them today between 8 and 9:30 am. 3 are alive in the coop (chicken door was open). Of the other 9, we found the 2 roosters and 4 hens dead and scattered FAR across our property. One hen was missing its head. The others were perfectly in tact. Must have had their necks broken. We’ve had an entire flock taken before, but never a trace except feathers. What would kill them, drag them away, then go back for more?

I would be suspicious of dogs, not just one, but perhaps several.

Depends on the condition of the bodies. If they look like they’ve been slobbered or chewed on, I’d suspect dogs. Another culprit to consider is mink. They will wipe out a flock in short order. They will eat the whole head, just the back of the head, or bite them in the neck or under the wings and lap up the blood. They’ll attack any time, night or day. Many years ago, DH and I were out working on the coops, came up to the house for lunch, and in the 1/2 hour we were in the house, lost a hen to a mink. In my opinion, of my local predators, mink are the worst! They can also squeeze into the smallest of spaces.

I had 12 hens and 2 Roos. Something got almost all of them today between 8 and 9:30 am. 3 are alive in the coop (chicken door was open). Of the other 9, we found the 2 roosters and 4 hens dead and scattered FAR across our property. One hen was missing its head. The others were perfectly in tact. Must have had their necks broken. We’ve had an entire flock taken before, but never a trace except feathers. What would kill them, drag them away, then go back for more?
decapitation? parts everywhere? sounds like this guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-04 8.51.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-04 8.51.24 AM.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom