Feet looks normal?

Ray987

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
I had to help this one hatch, does his feet look normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_044022.jpg
    IMG_20240429_044022.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 20
Hard to tell but things like that happen when assisted hatching. I presume curled toes?

We fixed one by making "shoes." Place a small piece of cardboard on a table, then gently press the foot on it being sure the toes are spread out properly, then tape the foot to the cardboard. Vet wrap works well as it sticks good but can be pulled off easily too. The chick got it off a couple times but finally it stayed on overnight. It only took 1 day and its foot was perfect.

Hard to tell but things like that happen when assisted hatching. I presume curled toes?

We fixed one by making "shoes." Place a small piece of cardboard on a table, then gently press the foot on it being sure the toes are spread out properly, then tape the foot to the cardboard. Vet wrap works well as it sticks good but can be pulled off easily too. The chick got it off a couple times but finally it stayed on overnight. It only took 1 day and its foot was perfect.
I would say it happened because I had to open the incubator and poor thing dried out and got stuck so next day I had to help it out, anyways thank you I put tape and I'll keep it for a day or two

BComplex tablets 1/4 tablet daily or chick vitamins with B 2 riboflavin can be helpful, along with taping the toes and foot in a normal position right away. Place the foot on a piece of stick tape and a piece on top with toes positioned normally. Leave it on for 3-4 days.

Outstanding! You did great! :highfive:

It definitely helps to have caught that early and addressed it ASAP.

We've only had one like that, and like I said, with the "boot" trick, one day was all it took. Splayed legs we've had three and those take 3 to 4 days. It's just great when we can help prevent a chick from becoming a handicapped chicken someday!!

Back
Top Bottom