Weather and effects

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    The weather got down right hot here. Now we have had a week of cooler temps and the Hens aren't laying as well is this common?

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I live in Texas, and a month ago I was getting about twice as many eggs as I am now. I think with extreme heat putting stress on the birds, they tend to lay less. I'm fine with that, but if you're not, there are some things that might help. A lot of people have misters in their coop areas, to keep the area cooler on the really hot days. Some people but ice in the waterers, and give things like cold melon or frozen peas to the chickies. I think these things might work to keep egg production up too, but I'm not sure. Most days I house down the coops before they go in for the night, but that is just to make them more comfortable.

3. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Just love that TX heat, don't you? DD visited her SO in Cleveland last week, and everyone kept asking her why she wore a jacket. It rarely got above 80 for the week she was there. She was chilly [​IMG] Can't say that here. I think we have been over a 100 everyday this month. Anyway, in this heat, I do all the cooling tricks, so far have lost only 2 chickens to heat out of 35. Found the 'wading pool' the most effective cooling trick. Laying is down, 2 egg for 3 hens is the average was 4 out of 5 in the spring before it got hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by