Weather and shipping chicks

gottalovemychickens

SaveAChickenRideACowboy
Aug 19, 2009
50 Miles SouthEast of DENVER !
I have my order of 25 chicks that have been shipped today , Right now the temp is 3 with a windchill of -4 , Tonights low is 2 with a low of -5 thats not even with a windchill .

Question is the chicks are being shipping from Texas and the high temps from there to here is only 30s

Will they be safe in shipping and do you think some of them will die ???

allanimals21

Songster
Aug 27, 2009
MN
I'm currious about that too. Its not near as cold here but I am waiting on a bunch that shipped yesterday. I was hoping they'd get here tonight yet.

Katy

Flock Mistress
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
Those kind of temps are going to be very hard on them. Hopefully the postal workers along the way will try and keep them as warm as possible. Have a brooder all set up and warm for them to place them in as soon as you get them.

allanimals21

Songster
Aug 27, 2009
MN
Quote:I just spoke to the post office here. They don't have them as of yet but he assured me they will keep them inside and warm. I've got the heat lamp on and food and water waiting right now. So now I just wait...

donnaIL

Songster
Jun 3, 2008
SouthernIL
I got my chicks from Ideal yesterday, they didnot have any heat pack in there. I'm in Southern IL, and we are having a cold spell. 3 of 27 of my chicks were doa, and I have one sick one. I have ordered 2 other times from Ideal and never had a problem, this is my first time ordering in December. I don't think I will be ordering again at this time of the year.

allanimals21

Songster
Aug 27, 2009
MN
mine from Welp made it here on thursday night. No heat packs. No straw or anything. All 39 are alive and well.

Top Bottom