Weather Proof Automatic Watering System?

KAKBucks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Central Ohio
I'm trying to put together some sort of automatic watering system, or a modified system.

I was thinking of using large barrels with short hosing into bowls in each coop in the area. I have my animals in a variety of places on the property and many are movable coops, so I would have probably 4 or 5 of these barrels in various places, each servicing 2-4 coops.

But I'm worried about winterizing. I will be rearranging the movable coops into a row so they will all have power access, and I can put heated waterers in there and I could put livestock tank waterers in the barrels, but I can't think of a cheap and easy way to keep the hosing from freezing. I can't afford a heat tape for each one.

Has anyone worked out an automatic or modified automatic watering system for their chickens that can handle the cold? I'm in Ohio, so it's not 20 below or anything around here, but 20-25 degrees for extended periods of time is pretty common.

Thanks!

Kendra

Great question! I'd love to hear from anyone who has a great answer. Other than using the heat tape that you mentioned, I can't think of anything.

Well... could you use hay or straw bales and place them over/under/around the hosing to help insulate them? I'm not sure that would be enough insulation, it would depend on how long you had those lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom