Weatherproofing a coop floor

cj7795

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
We are upgrading our chickens to a bigger coop ... the floor of the coop is untreated plywood (3/4 plywood) ... we live in Michigan so we are wondering what we can use to protect/seal the floor so that it doesn't rot over time. In our old coop (which was elated) we tried using sticky tiles but found that they just "pop" off from the moisture. My husband thought about using polyurethane inside the coop with a shower liner glued over top but worries that the fumes (even after dried) would still bother the birds. Basically we are looking for a "bullet proof" floor. Our old coop was 24" off the ground ... our new coop will only be 7" off the ground. Thanks in advance ... any & all suggestions are welcomed :)

We are upgrading our chickens to a bigger coop ... the floor of the coop is untreated plywood (3/4 plywood) ... we live in Michigan so we are wondering what we can use to protect/seal the floor so that it doesn't rot over time. In our old coop (which was elated) we tried using sticky tiles but found that they just "pop" off from the moisture. My husband thought about using polyurethane inside the coop with a shower liner glued over top but worries that the fumes (even after dried) would still bother the birds. Basically we are looking for a "bullet proof" floor. Our old coop was 24" off the ground ... our new coop will only be 7" off the ground. Thanks in advance ... any & all suggestions are welcomed :)
There's a few here on the forums that swear by Black Jack. Just roll it on, even up over the joint between the floor and walls, and it seals beautifully. Available at Lowes, I think he said.

Back
Top Bottom