1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Webbed toe on new chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by recycledcharm, Apr 12, 2016.

1. recycledcharm

recycledcharm New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Hi! I'm a new chicken owner--my tiny brood arrived today and one chick seemed extra wobbly and slightly smaller than the others. Upon inspection, she seems to have an irregular webbed toe on both feet! What can I do to help her? I think she might be smaller because her mobility isn't great--I want her to have a good life! I will be grateful for any advice :) she is a black australorp [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She could be experiencing some shipping stress if they just arrived today.
    Provide the chicks with some vitamins/electrolytes in their water - something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Sav-A-Chick.
    Also provide them with their chick starter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks

As far as the web toes are concerned, some people take them to a vet to have the webbing clipped or they do it themselves.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/582342/will-these-webbed-toes-be-ok
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/436487/webbed-toes-surgery

3. recycledcharm

recycledcharm New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Thanks for your help! I have supplied sav-a-chick in the water but she won't drink it unless I bring it to her in a spoon. Her other foot has an even more prominent webbing issue than the one pictured. I think she does need it released, but first I think she needs to get stronger! Poor thing is going to need a little extra TLC. I really appreciate your response!

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree, wait until she is stronger.
    Make sure she is hydrated well.
    If she is having a bit of trouble eating, you can try wet chick starter (all chicks seem to love it). You can mix the chick food with the vitamin water if you wish.
    An eye dropper or syringe works well with getting water into them too, you just have to be patient, but if she will drink from a spoon that is great.

5. recycledcharm

recycledcharm New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Hi again, just wanted to thank you for your advice! She's doing much better since I got brave and clipped her webbing. Now her balance allows her to stoop down to peck at food and to drink on her own. She's got a will to survive! And she loves wet chick starter--you were right [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing great!
    You did a good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by