Weed and Feed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kharmel, May 10, 2011.

1. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    My lawn is getting dandelions and my chickens free range. I would like to put Weed and Feed on it but am afraid I'll poison the chickens. How does everyone get rid of weeds safely with free ranging chickens?

2. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Two great choices....

Pull them. [​IMG] (Or hit them repeatedly with a shot of White Vinegar)

OR

Leave them

Weed killer will get ingested by animals. I pull them and then put weeds into their run. Works well.

3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I thought you were talking about the chickens [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]

I let my chickens eat the weeds in my yard.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I just mowed my acre of dandelions... I need a solution also... no granules (they eat them) so a liquid spray?

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    You shouldn't use any kind of pesticide on your weeds where your hens free range, granules like you said will get eaten straight, liquid spray which is equally as dangerous will get soaked up by the grass making it contaminated. Your chickens insides will get busted, literally. (and eventually the poison will get absorbed into eggs you are eating!) Letting your chickens eat the weeds is an option, or if you don't want poop all over you could pull them [​IMG]

Wish you well!

WooingWyandotte

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. mmaddie's mom

Can't I spray and just not free range for a few mowings?

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Using liquid, soaks into the ground and contaminates it for along time. Even if you don't let them free range for awhile it's still there. Best not to use any pesticide. As sanyijr advised use white vinegar.

9. Teeah3612

Teeah3612 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    West Virginia
    I pull them and feed them to my honey bunny. She loves them!

10. mmaddie's mom

OK... not trying to arguementative... but if the application is light and it dries on the greens then it shouldn't get into the soil right? I understand a real soaking would be bad and that is why I wouldn't have any lawn care company out here to spray (well that and the $). I control the app. A light application is always the way to go anyway to keep the ground water safe.

Thanks for the info. but the reality is that I couldn't pull an acre of dandelions.

Lets say they are all a potential risk... is there anything that is less risky?

added info. for just me: Right now I only have 2 roosters so no eggs involved and they could comforably stay in the run for a while... I would like to do something about the weeds before the girls come back home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by