Weed spray advice

Jul 22, 2021
My neighbor has just come over to let me know he'll be spraying his yard with weed killer next weekend so I can make arrangements to move the chickens and avoid exposing them to the chemicals. If I move them to the opposite end of my yard for the day so they aren't exposed to anything while he sprays and bring them back to the coop in the evening after it's dry, will that be ok or do I need to move them from that side for longer? I don't use chemicals and pull weeds by hand so I haven't looked into it much to know how it could effect them and I'd like to know what precautions I need to take. I don't know what product he'll be using but he did mention that it says it needs to set for 6 hrs undisturbed and it'll kill all weeds and grass and I know he'll be spraying himself and not hiring anyone if that helps any.

How close is he spraying to where your chickens are? And what is he spraying?
The back of the coop is about 8 feet from the fence line, the nearest side of the run is 20 feet from the fence line and I assume he'll be spraying right up to the fence on his side. I have seen him use round-up before so that would be my guess but my husband talked to him and didn't ask, it's too late to ask tonight but I will find out in the next few days.

Also it's wooden fence with slats on both my side and his side so I think that would help block most of the spray from coming on my side.

I'd say a general rule for many treatments is they can go back once it fully dries, but to be on the safe side (assuming it's Roundup, and because I myself don't know) it'd be best to look up what the recommendations are of how long to keep animals off of the affected area before going back.

Six hours is what Roundup claims to need. Roundup is under heavy fire over safety issues right now and you'll find plenty spooky references to toxicity. It's all a little over-blown though. A decade or so ago nobody ever worried about it. Do what you can to keep the chickens out of the wind drift, But, I don't think you will have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom