Weed that looks like a grapevine but there's no grapes on it

We have it all over our property as well. My girls love it! They eat it like crazy!
smile.png
They def keep the vine well trimmed!
ya.gif

I used to break off the red tips of the vine as a child and eat them. I can't remember why I did it other than it was really tart and made my mouth water like lemon. So if you decide not to feed it to the chickens, when I get hungry I'll stop by
lol.png

Because I'm trying to go with FREE first. lol. I have a ton of $$ in these chickens and now we're about to start a coop expansion that will probably cost a couple hundred more at least, so I'm trying to save money. If it comes to that I will go ahead and save up for a real plant but dh said to go ahead and put the wild grapevine there since it's way out by the grain bins and not by the house anyway. We figured the chickens would keep it maintained. The ones by the a/c are coming right out of the concrete (probably a crack, I'm guessing) but I found one growing in the yard so I dug it up and planted it in a pot for now. If it lives and gets bigger I'll plant it outside the run.

The 3 mulberry trees we've tried aren't doing well. One we put right in the run with a fence around it and it looks totally dead. I planted 2 in pots and they don't look so good either. The funny thing is, we can't kill the darn things when they're growing wild in the yard but I can't make one grow where I want it.

It's muscadine - funny stuff, the vines on our property never fruit, but my SIL gets plenty. It may depend on the amount of sun...

If it is a muscadine they need a male and female plant to produce grapes. Here is what I would try I would dig up a few vines from around the yard, plant them side by side, hope you dug upa male and a female, and mayby you will get grapes. We have them on our lot and thought they weren't producing grapes until DH got pictures of the deer eating the young green grapes befor they could ripen.

Quote:
OMG I was wrong!! The mulberry tree we planted in the run has new leaves on it - I'm so excited!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif

I'll still probably plant the grapevine on the outside of the run.

Last edited:
So I saw your posting the other night and the thought had recently crossed my mind regarding grape leaves. We have several wild vines on our property so today I collected two length of vine with the newest growth on them to put in the run. At first they didnt seem to have much interest. I had to run some errands during the day and when I return the was no evidence of the vine in the run. All the leaves, tendrils and vines ( which were still green ) were gone. I quess they got the hang of it after all.
lol.png
thanks for the idea.

My chickens love grape leaves too. I have grape vines growing up through the center and over my entire run. It makes for fantastic shade and continuous forage for several months a year here. Here are pics of mine in early spring and mid summer. At this time of the year the vines are trailing out onto the ground and the run is completely hidden.

56638_coopisdone.jpg
56638_grapecoveredrun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom