Weedwhacker and chickens?

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
I want to weed whack the tall grass around my chicken coop. It is loud. Do you guys think that it would be bad to scare them with that or will they be okay? Should I pick them up and put them inside the coop? I tried luring them in with food but they are too dumb to go inside 🤣

If they've never seen/heard it before, it'll probably scare them the first time.

Whereas mine follow the lawnmower as I go around the run, because they've learned that even though it's loud, 1) it doesn't chase them and 2) it can spit bits of grass and bugs into their run.
Yes I just did it and they were scared at first but after a while they weren’t as scared

Mine are remarkably blase about noisy machinery after the first reaction.

They casually foraged around their run while a tree trimming crew ran their monster wood chipper less than 10 feet from their fence (close enough that I had to turn the electric off in case someone brushed up against it).
Mine were less tense after awhile

I had to till a packed-down mud berm on three of four sides of our coop/run to be able to rake the dirt back over the predator aprons. Chickens didn't like it, but just went to the opposite corner of where I was working. I don't think any permanent psychological damage was done 😉.

They still follow me around :D.

Getting real close to having this project done! We still need to make external nesting boxes (3 bays each side) and build windows. A bit of staining yet to do, as well.

Really LOVE this coop/run. Lumber prices were ridiculous this Spring, but on the bright side, when the girls start laying, our eggs will only be $400 per dozen! :lau:yesss:

1627350031408.png

1627350081651.png

1627350218144.png

I want to weed whack the tall grass around my chicken coop. It is loud. Do you guys think that it would be bad to scare them with that or will they be okay? Should I pick them up and put them inside the coop? I tried luring them in with food but they are too dumb to go inside 🤣
I usually do mine early before i release the dinosaurs because they have no fear of it and when i do it i am usually in shorts and can promise you there is nearly a constant flying debris field.

Back
Top Bottom