Week by week, a helpful picture guide to aging goslings.

EvenLater

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois
I always see people posting pictures trying to figure out the age of their gosling, so I thought I'd put up pictures of my Cas as he changed week to week in hopes it might help others. In honor of my hub's writing skills, I proudly call this "The Chronicles of Cas"!

Here he is the day we brought him home, and our best guess put him at no more than 2 days old...

He was very sleepy, and had no real interest in eating or drinking.

The following week (1 week old by our estimates)...

Far more active and very curious about everything around him.

(1.5 weeks old)...

Beginning his "toddler" stage, curious and playful, everything is a fun new toy!

(2 weeks old)...

Standing taller, starting to "plump", still wobbly at times, no feathers yet. Feet are still rather tiny, but legs have become stocky.

(3 weeks old)...

Feathers are starting! Still 'talks' in mostly peeps, but an occasional baby honk is heard. Wings are small in comparison to his body. Feet fill in and become larger.

(3.5 weeks old)...

Really getting those feathers now. Tail, wings, shoulders are covered in pin (new) feathers. Wings are beginning to catch up to his body size.

(4 weeks old)...

Baby down is growing out as feathers fill in. Wings are slightly more proportionate to body. Far more honks than peeps now.

(5 weeks old)...

Serious weight gain and size change this week. Looking far less "baby" and more "goose". Honks have almost completely replaced the peeps and feathers are filling in everywhere.

(6 weeks old)...

Definitely looks more like a goose. Body is approx. 3/4 feathered. Neck and head remain downy, though the beginnings of feathers can be felt. Neck thickens, lobe(s) become more defined, face looses some 'baby chub'. Baby peeps are a thing of the past now, and honks are louder and more clear.

(6.5 weeks old...)

Nearly completely feathered now, weight gain this week as body fills out. Legs and feet are now more matched in size to the body.

(7 weeks old...)

Lots of flapping wings now. Wing feathers really growing, wing span increases. Not nearly as much feather casing dust now as feathering is almost complete. Head is beginning to feather around the bill and eyes, and starting to spread down the neck.

I will update this as he ages too, and I hope this might help someone who wants to know at least an approximate age of a gosling.
big_smile.png

*Edit* I'd also really love to see other breeds aging! Feel free to post your weekly growth pictures too! (Try to make it one post that you can edit as they grow
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! He's definitely becoming quite the handsome gentlemen! But then again, I'm probably biased! Lol

He is so well behaved and everyone who meets him just loves him to pieces! I hope this might help some of the members here who acquire a gosling but aren't certain of its age.

My long term goal is for Cas to be an ambassador of his species. We're planning a visit to the children's hospital as soon as he's more comfortable with his diaper. :)

Thanks guys! He's definitely becoming quite the handsome gentlemen! But then again, I'm probably biased! Lol

He is so well behaved and everyone who meets him just loves him to pieces! I hope this might help some of the members here who acquire a gosling but aren't certain of its age.

My long term goal is for Cas to be an ambassador of his species. We're planning a visit to the children's hospital as soon as he's more comfortable with his diaper.
smile.png
Aww that will be awesome be sure to take pics of him visiting the children.

:) Good guide! Maybe others can also post their geese aging on here each member with one post.?!?? I'll post Pear's so far also, since different breeds age at different rates, but Poms and Buffs are both medium sized breeds so there may be no point.

I'd love to see others peoples geese aging too! It lets me edit the main post but not change the title, so that may have to be done by a Mod? Maybe we could call it "Week by week, a helpful picture guide to aging goslings" ? What ya think?

*Edited to add, I figured it out and made changes Lol
big_smile.png
Now everyone with different breeds can post weekly pics of their growing up and we can really help people with new goslings!

Last edited:
I'd love to see others peoples geese aging too! It lets me edit the main post but not change the title, so that may have to be done by a Mod? Maybe we could call it "Week by week, a helpful picture guide to aging goslings" ? What ya think?

*Edited to add, I figured it out and made changes Lol :D  Now everyone with different breeds can post weekly pics of their growing up and we can really help people with new goslings!

Great!

Back
Top Bottom