week old chick got trapped under waterer

crazy coops

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Help! Last night after cleaning their brood box and giving fresh water one of our week old Phoenix chicks got trapped under the waterer! It was actually sat on top of him and for some reason was leaking! When giving fresh water this morning I picked up the waterer and found him. He was wet but ive got him dry now and wrapped up with a heat pack. He seems very lethargic but when I touch him He perks up. When i pick him up he acts strong but when i put him down he sits flat on his thanks. Any suggestions and/ideas would be greatly appreciated! I feel awful and done want to lose him!

I'd try some moistened chick feed to encourage him to eat, and just some extra attention, though he may be so afraid of people that you can't handle him much. He may come out of it fine, especially if he will eat and drink. He's likely to be in shock at the moment, so give him a little time. And try not to beat yourself up too badly. It was a mistake. You had no intention to harm him. Many of us have a similar story about a small animal; I certainly do.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'm happy to say that after quite some time wrapped up with a heat pack the little guy perked up dramatically! When he seemed pretty much back to normal I put him back in with the other chicks and he went straight to the feeder! All night with no feed had left him rather hungry! He was drinking and running around just fine last time I checked on him! I believe hes going to make it! Whew! I wasn't ready to explain that accident to the kids!

Back
Top Bottom