Week old chick hasn't walked for days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a week old chick that stopped walking a few days ago - it can't use or move it's legs at all. I notice it putting it's wings out for balance. It was fine the first few days, walking and running with the other chicks. It still eats while laying down but I have to help it drink. It is always eager to drink when I help it.

Anyways, I'm not sure what to do, it has been days. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I keep hoping it will suddenly be standing one morning, but I'm not sure that will ever happen.

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    feel its vertebra is there any way its back could have been broken? has the chick had any seizers you knew off? can it grip with its feet? dose it have feeling in its feet (pinch the toe not to hard but hard enough to cause it to want to move the foot if it could feel, is the chick alert and bright eyed?

3. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thank you for the response. I can't find anything obviously wrong with her vertebrae. She does pull away from me when I squeeze her toes, so she does have feeling.

When I found her sick she was standing, just seemed weak. Once I separated her she did not stand up anymore. She was with a batch of 60 other chicks or so that I was "babysitting". Out of the 100 total chicks I had here, 2 others died and then I found her weak. I figured she would pass quickly like the other 2, but she didn't. She still eats a lot and drinks when I pick her up and put her head near the water. She does seem alert for the most part, but sleeps a lot as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by