Week old chick unable to stand or move on its own

MotherCluck44

Chirping
Mar 1, 2020
Newport News, Virginia
I got 5 silkie chicks a week or so ago. One of them is now half the size of the rest, unable to walk aroubd or stand up in its own. I have to take it to the water to make it drink and it will dip its beak.
Otherwise its just staying under the heat because it can't move obviously.

This doesn't make sense. All the rest are happy and healthy spunky little things. And they're literally twice the size but all the same age.

Does this sound like illness? Or just failure to thrive?

Some chicks just don't make it. I recently had a similar experience with a bantam from a mixed group of ten that I got from TSC. While the remaining nine took off from the start, this one lagged behind before dying after a week. In fact the remaining ones did so well that I moved them outside to their coop after only three weeks in the brooder and they are doing great (besides me still having to put them inside their coop every evening). :lol:

I got 5 silkie chicks a week or so ago. One of them is now half the size of the rest, unable to walk aroubd or stand up in its own. I have to take it to the water to make it drink and it will dip its beak.
Otherwise its just staying under the heat because it can't move obviously.

This doesn't make sense. All the rest are happy and healthy spunky little things. And they're literally twice the size but all the same age.

Does this sound like illness? Or just failure to thrive?

Hi, sorry to hear about your chick!

From what you describe, it sounds like a classic "runt" or fail to thrive chick, most you can do for these if offer supportive care, keep the chick warm, limit handling, ensure other chicks aren't bullying her, and offer her feed and water often. Any chance you could get a poultry vitamin, poultry Nutri dench and poultry cell are good brands, I'd drop a few drops onto her beak several times each day, or dip her bill in some of the liquid for a fraction of a second. Chicks aspirate easily, so it's important you give them time to get everything down. You can also offer her mashed scrambled eggs for protein.

Could you post a picture of her, how do her poops look?

Hi, sorry to hear about your chick!

From what you describe, it sounds like a classic "runt" or fail to thrive chick, most you can do for these if offer supportive care, keep the chick warm, limit handling, ensure other chicks aren't bullying her, and offer her feed and water often. Any chance you could get a poultry vitamin, poultry Nutri dench and poultry cell are good brands, I'd drop a few drops onto her beak several times each day, or dip her bill in some of the liquid for a fraction of a second. Chicks aspirate easily, so it's important you give them time to get everything down. You can also offer her mashed scrambled eggs for protein.

Could you post a picture of her, how do her poops look?

the partridge is the problem chick. Its in with one midnight majesty maran that is about 5 days old. Come to think of it the silkie is over 2 weeks old. But anyways, there is rooster booster in the water which is vit electrolytes and probiotics in one. It absolutely won't eat but it will drink when I take it to the water. So sad to watch.
the last picture is of all of its siblings plus an olive egger and another maran.
20200609_171018.jpg
20200609_171032.jpg
20200609_171049.jpg

Back
Top Bottom