Week old chick very weak and/or sick.

unicornsss

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Elizabeth Lake, CA
Wish my first post could be happier. My week old EE chick is very weak. I found her in the brooder, she wouldnt lift her head or stand. I immediately took her out. She would only open her eyes 20% of the time. She lays there looking like she is asleep and limp. Occasionally she throws her head in a frantic spasm throwing her body into another lying position. She will chirp loudly and then soon returns to the sleeping position (however she lands). I dipped her beak in the water and she opens her mouth but i cannot tell if she is actually drinking. She also only once acted like she was going to throw up, opening her beak slightly. She pooped a normal brown color but liquid. The brooder was slightly hot (97F) but the other chicks were fine. We are currently making pedialyte in a desperate attempt. Her breathing goes from normal to labored and back. Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
The chicken passed away. If anyone knows anything about this it would be helpful to know for future chickens. We do not use cedar bedding, we clean food/water multiple times a day. keep the heat at about 87-95 averaging 92-93. Thank you for your time.

Sorry about your loss. The chick could have had internal defects that were undetected, or a virus or bacteria could have killed her. If the other chicks are doing well I suspect a congenital defect. Or the incubation process was not totally correct.

Sorry I'm not much help but welcome to BYC.

Last edited:
Thanks. It was hard to go through. You feel so helpless when you don't know what to do to help them. The outbursts were so scary, but, at the same time comforting. Each time I thought she was snapping out of it, but I think that was just desperate hope. i'm trying to find the balance between being a paranoid, helicopter chicken mommy and understanding that sometimes there is just nothing you can do. I always beat myself up though, there was a sign that I should have noticed to help her sooner. She seemed perfectly fine hours before. But, thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom