Week Old Chick with weird bum-HELP

moonshadow

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Starkville, MS
I need to know if this looks normal or not? Sorry it's with a phone, but I can get better pics tonight.

img1305065308816.jpg

Here's the whole scoop...

Picked up these chicks yesterday at a feed store. There are approximately 7 days old and they are White Rock Pullets. Big and active. Eating and (I think) drinking. They are sure pooping up a storm, so I am guessing they are getting enough. Anyways... there's just 3 of them. Two look great and are all fuzzy. The other one looks fine except she's missing some fuzz on her bum. Plus the skin looks kind of purplish right by the vent, but I have no idea if that's normal because the other chicks bums are covered in down. I did pull a chunk of poo of the bum of one of them the first day, so I am wondering if I pulled off some of the down at the same time. Could have been the one chick whom I'm worried about today.

So, please share your thoughts! And cookies to all who read this.
smile.png

If the chick had pasty butt (pooh all stuck around the vent) and the pooh was pulled off, that's probably why the chick has a bit of a bare hiney. It could have even been done at the feed store. When that happens, I just keep an eye on the chick to make sure the others aren't picking at it and to ensure it doesn't happen again. If you keep an eye on it, you can catch it before it gets to mattered up and use warm water to soak it off.

Yeah, they all had a bit of a pasty butt when I first got them. Now they're seeming fine though. As a precaution I rinsed all their vent areas with lukewarm water just now. I wouldn't normally do that this young, but it's been in the 80's today and our house is an oven. I think it's plenty warm enough for them to have a tiny bum wash. I even had to back off the heat lamp today! Phew!! Good thing I did it to all because I could see all of them have the blueish skin under the down back there.

Hopefully I will have photos to share tonight.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom