Week old chicks coming down with something FAST

junecsea

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Recently bought some chicks from Rural King (I know, I know), including several D'uccles and bantam Game Hens and some orpingtons. They are in a tub with woodshavings, eating chick crumbles.

After a few days, one of the game hens died. I thought it was wry neck at first and I'd just missed the early signs, but today (they're now about a week old) one of the D'uccles had symptoms and was dead two hours later. Now three other birds have symptoms - all bantams.

Symptoms: diarrhea, stumbling, tremors, inability to walk, unable to keep eyes open, feel cold and light, bubbling at the mouth, wry neck and death.

No sign of injury. I'd like to be able to treat myself if possible, but I think they'll be gone before then. I'd just like to try and figure it out so I can save the other birds if possible.

Recently bought some chicks from Rural King (I know, I know), including several D'uccles and bantam Game Hens and some orpingtons. They are in a tub with woodshavings, eating chick crumbles.

After a few days, one of the game hens died. I thought it was wry neck at first and I'd just missed the early signs, but today (they're now about a week old) one of the D'uccles had symptoms and was dead two hours later. Now three other birds have symptoms - all bantams.

Symptoms: diarrhea, stumbling, inability to walk, unable to keep eyes open, feel cold and light, bubbling at the mouth, wry neck and death.

I'd like to be able to treat myself if possible, but I think they'll be gone before then. I'd just like to try and figure it out so I can save the other birds if possible.
OMG MY RURAL KIMG CHICKS HAD THIS EXACTLY! But more lethargic, no diarrhea and some crackling in the chest. I think it’s the coffee bedding. I nebulized them with tetracycline (after three had passed) and my other 3 are great! Super big now too. Whatever mine had was contagious, hope this can help and heres the vid I watched to make the nebulizer. I put my 3 chicks in for 10cminutes in the morning and 10cbefore bed (15 if I forgot to do it in the morning) but maybe someine else has better insight…..

here’s the stuff I used and I just put a jnife through the top for a “hole“ and stuck a syringe in there to put in the liquid holder part of the nebulizer

amd here’s the video I used to get an idea of how to set up my nebulizer box

if you have a regular motor one I just stuck the tube p/ cup thing with the antibiotics in the bin and held it in there (you could tape it to the side) and let them sit in there with it. I kept the lid half off of a bin to let them not be all smoky😂

Hope this helps and here’s them how at almost 2 months!

goo luck❤️ Prayers!
DFDFA563-7A0D-4D04-B7E3-7D35033D4173.jpeg
BC4043F2-2043-4761-A473-85F49F116D01.jpeg
981B549C-310C-4721-812C-212F567540BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom