Week old chicks heat lamp failed

Lidea teapot

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
Scotland
My little sultan chicks heat lamp has just blown it's second bulb tonight I have no more and can't get a new lamp till tomorrow. They are in a little broody box in my house and iv just given them a hot water bottle for now but that will cool quickly. Will thay be ok without heat till tomorrow if I keep the my home heating on at 20 degrees Celsius ?

Iv already looked for one but only have energy saving builds and thay don't heat up like ordinary bulbs. Iv heated a wheat bag in the microwave that should stay warm for a little while and at least that won't get chilly like a hot water bottle when it cools. will thay survive at room temp over night?

Ok if put a thermometer in to see the temp in the brooder it's at 23degrees Celsius can also use my daughters 150w infra red butician light but only in short bursts as its a plastic holder and I'm afraid it may go on fire if left on for much more than the 15 min usage time it recommends.

Ok it's six am iv got the heating on at 25 degrees c and with wheat bags ( you know the things. You put them in the micowave and use them for sore muscles etc ) iv managed to keep the temp in the brooder between 25 and 33 degrees c. Just a few more hours and I can go get new light fittings and bulbs. All will be ok. :D feeeuwwww

Last edited:
The first day we got our chicks and settled them into the brooder we had a power outage. My husband was in town and I'm not able to get the generator started, so I was pretty panicky. Then I realized that we had a full water heater, so I filled up several tall, skinny metal cookie cans (Pirouettes...yum!) with hot water, wrapped each in a sheet of paper towel, and set them in the center of the brooder. The chicks all huddled around the cans under a flashlight until my husband got home to turn on their personal sun again.

Thank yous for postin. We all made it through the nite:D the brooder is working again. I can relax till the next worry:D thank yous again

Hi there

I don't know how long it has been off but it is nearly half midnight and I noticed the red light missing from our hallway.

My little silkies are only two days old and I don't have a thing to heat them with! I have no screw light bulbs that fit the lamp and I am worried my little babies will die. Anyone have any ideas please?

I have whacked our central heating up to 24 degrees and popped the cage they are in up against a hot radiator with a towel over the top to keep as much heat in as I can.

The shops don't open for another 8.5 hours, I feel this is going to be a long night :0(

Just to report, I used a normal lamp in the end until I managed to source a proper heat lamp.

The heat from a normal lamp was just enough for them and I would have kept using it only, the red light is invisible to chickens and I thought it kinder to let them think it is day and night. Even if the red light drives US all mad!!!!

Back
Top Bottom