Week Old Chicks In Distress!

I have around 28 bantams that I just got from cackle hatchery.
we decided not to vaccinate.
they were hatched the 19th of February and arrived on the 21st after being shipped.
I lost one in shipping and it took the others a minute to recover.
I’ve lost a total of 7 including the one in the box.
A few died right after getting home and the next few days after.
and then it started getting strange. We were gone all day and came home to one severely lethargic on Sunday. She died that night.
then today I notice one chick is hopping and refusing to use the left leg, another is slightly limping not wanting to use the leftleg and then I notice ANOTHER, SAME leg.
These are silkies

I have them on wood chips, brooder temp at 90° for one lamp and 100° at the other lamp. Cool area between the two where the food and water is.
I have water with electrolytes and probiotics made fresh daily.
These are silkies I’m dealing with. The bantam Dominiques in the same brooder are having no issues. Help!!
picture attached is of the blue Silkie with what looks like a swollen left leg. But I don’t know why three chicks would seem to have the same injury.
that looks pretty bad. you need to deal about that soon, and about the vaccination, It is crucial. and you need to do it soon.

Was that tight at some time? Are you going to take it off?
I check on the chicks at least four times a day and make sure no ones bands are getting stuck or picked at.
I’ve talked to a few breeders and I’ve read the threads here and they prefer to mark this way instead of zip ties.
I will keep watching bands and undo them to get larger as the chicks grow.
and soon enough they’ll be getting their “permanent” bands.
I haven’t kept track of my chicks before and I decided that I would like to this time to get the hang of it.
In sum, I really don’t think it got tight at any point. It is the other leg in question regarding that chick anyways.

If you use the super B complex tablets, you can take a whole tablet, crush or grate it, and sprinkle it over their food for the day. If treating one chicken, just give a small piece daily. Some dissolve a tablet in a gallon of water.

@aswank22 How is she today?

@Fluffyflufffluff what vaccination are your referring to?

she is still weak but alive! I have some rooster booster that seemed to get her through the night. Unfortunately we only have one car and that car goes with my husband to work while I’m at home. He does have the list of what I need though so he will be picking that up tonight on his way home.
the other is still limping but seeming to put just a little bit of weight on her leg which is in a better direaction than nothing at all.

As for the vaccination in question, that would be the mareks vaccination.
it was our personal preference not to and if we had bought from the breeders around us instead of the hatchery we still would have gotten chicks that weren’t Vaccinated.

4AE80DF6-5AC7-45CA-8E28-5C9905CD0BE3.jpeg

Also, here is a pic of a poop. Everyone’s looks just like this and I spent a good hour checking through all the poop 😂
it looks normal to me. Any one have their opinions on it?
I will adjust anything as needed!

UPDATE :
The black that has been weak and shaking when walking is still weak but she seems a little bit stronger. She is not out of the woods yet but is drinking and eating by herself. She shakily walks over, eats/drinks, and goes and lays down by the heat.
I wonder if it has something to do with failure to thrive along with a vitamin deficiency. She is the absolute smallest one out of everyone no matter how much I’m able to get her to eat. We’ve named her Angel and we’re hoping she pulls through.

the second with the left leg problem still has a swollen joint that connects the shank and the lower thigh, hock joint? BUT he’s using it more so we must be going in the right direction.

It sounds like you have a handle on things. I hope the 2 chicks continue to improve. The swollen hock joint can sometimes be common with slipped tendon. I would let the chick try to do as much as it can to try and overcome the problem.

It sounds like you have a handle on things. I hope the 2 chicks continue to improve. The swollen hock joint can sometimes be common with slipped tendon. I would let the chick try to do as much as it can to try and overcome the problem.

Thank you and everyone else for the help!
I’ve never gotten shipped chicks before and I’ve never, in the years I’ve had chickens and waterfowl and all that, had so many problems with the young ones!
it’s been a dream to get silkies and breed in a direction I want so thank you guys for helping me keep the ones I have healthy!
everyone seemed to perk up even more with the vitamin b tablets so that was a bonus And I’ve since moved the temp down because they seemed to have a better handle on life once I gave them the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom