Week old RIR chicks feathers have an odd curl (by comparison)

harrisville chicken

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Northern Utah
I am a very novice first-time chicken keeper.

My two RIR chicks are about a week old and their wings have several rows of feathers now. Instead of the normal looking feathers that I would expect (and that my EE's all have) they are all pointed/curled outwards. They have plenty of medicated chick feed and fresh water. They're on a bed of pine pellets and peat moss and seem to be very happy and healthy. All the chicks enjoy a new scoop of peat moss for a dust bathing* session. The EE are much bigger than the RIR chicks, but they all get along great. The largest RIR chick enjoys digging through the peat, finding a fuzzy bit, and running/flapping around as though she has a bug.

Should I be worried about the "backwards curl" of their feathers?

*I'm glad I read about dust bathing prior to witnessing it. What a funny sight.

I have a Columbian Wyandotte that has the same thing going on, I never thought that it could be something bad, I just thought that I had a unique chick, hopefully someone can help us
th.gif
idunno.gif

I've been wondering if it was a frizzle.

I was able to get a photo to upload now.

The perching chick front and center shows the best (the other is on the bottom left, but it doesn't show up as well.)

26840_curly.jpg

Looks like frizz to me
big_smile.png
I have a small red chick from TSC that his wing feathers started out looking like that........now he looks like he stuck his toe in the light socket
lol.png
lol.png

Hmmmm, thanks for the input. I never considered a frizzle blood line. After googling RIR chicks and frizzle chicks photos, I have also noticed that RIR's don't have fuzzy legs and toes, frizzles do. We didn't know that RIR's didn't have that when we got them (I told you I'm a first timer). We did immediately notice the fuzzy feet, which led to their names of Merry and Pippin (from Lord of the Rings).

Back
Top Bottom