Week old RIR chicks feathers have an odd curl (by comparison)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harrisville chicken, Apr 9, 2009.

1. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    I am a very novice first-time chicken keeper.

My two RIR chicks are about a week old and their wings have several rows of feathers now. Instead of the normal looking feathers that I would expect (and that my EE's all have) they are all pointed/curled outwards. They have plenty of medicated chick feed and fresh water. They're on a bed of pine pellets and peat moss and seem to be very happy and healthy. All the chicks enjoy a new scoop of peat moss for a dust bathing* session. The EE are much bigger than the RIR chicks, but they all get along great. The largest RIR chick enjoys digging through the peat, finding a fuzzy bit, and running/flapping around as though she has a bug.

Should I be worried about the "backwards curl" of their feathers?

*I'm glad I read about dust bathing prior to witnessing it. What a funny sight.

2. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I have a Columbian Wyandotte that has the same thing going on, I never thought that it could be something bad, I just thought that I had a unique chick, hopefully someone can help us [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Sounds like a Frizzle. We had one out of the last batch incubated. [​IMG]
    A cuckoo maran with a frizzy do!

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    maybe some frizzle in the bloodline??? is the only that comes to my mind. might be easier for some of the pros to give you an idea if you add a few pics

5. harrisville chicken

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    I've been wondering if it was a frizzle.

I was able to get a photo to upload now.

The perching chick front and center shows the best (the other is on the bottom left, but it doesn't show up as well.)

[​IMG]

6. Lairvine

Lairvine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    The Original Downeast NC
    The medicated starter has nothing to do with their feathers, it just helps to prevent cocci. You may be lucky and have frizzled RIR's.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like frizz to me [​IMG] I have a small red chick from TSC that his wing feathers started out looking like that........now he looks like he stuck his toe in the light socket [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. harrisville chicken

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Hmmmm, thanks for the input. I never considered a frizzle blood line. After googling RIR chicks and frizzle chicks photos, I have also noticed that RIR's don't have fuzzy legs and toes, frizzles do. We didn't know that RIR's didn't have that when we got them (I told you I'm a first timer). We did immediately notice the fuzzy feet, which led to their names of Merry and Pippin (from Lord of the Rings).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by