Week Old Silkie Question...My silkies dont like me! (PICS)

Pics

ChickenLVR

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Northern California
Hi all,
We have 8 one week old silkies that we totally adore. We decided on silkies for several reasons: they are friendly, cant fly and are fairly hardy (from what I have read...these are our first ever chickens)
Well...my silkies dont seem to like us very much! I handle them at least once a day to check for pasty butt and to hopefully get them used to us, but they seem to be scared even at the sight of anyone near their brooder box. When I put my hand in the brooder, they all go to one corner or another to try to get as far as they can away from my hand. Once I pick them up,they squirm a bit and you can tell they are scared or uncomfortable. Is this normal? I have tried putting food in my hand and offer it to them as a friendly gesture, but they still seem afraid. Was I expecting too much in terms of friendliness? I really want them to be family pets and to be comfortable with us all. Do I just need to give them more time? How often and for how long should I be handeling them?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Last edited:
They are beautiful!
Handle them as often as you can. When you put your hand into the brooder go slow, don't startle them. I usually tuck one or two under my shirt when I sit and watch TV, helps to get them used to you and being with you. Stroke the backs of their heads, chicks love it. Hold your hand over them when you hold them like you did in the photo's, so they can "shelter" under it. Talk to them lots so they get used to your voice. And a tried and trusted shortcut to a chicken's heart: a tasty treat, of course!
Hope this helps. Enjoy your babies!

Thanks for the advice! Am I weird for worrying so much about salmonella? Maybe that is why I havent been handeling them more...any advice to ease my worries about that?

They are beautiful!
Handle them as often as you can. When you put your hand into the brooder go slow, don't startle them. I usually tuck one or two under my shirt when I sit and watch TV, helps to get them used to you and being with you. Stroke the backs of their heads, chicks love it. Hold your hand over them when you hold them like you did in the photo's, so they can "shelter" under it. Talk to them lots so they get used to your voice. And a tried and trusted shortcut to a chicken's heart: a tasty treat, of course!
Hope this helps. Enjoy your babies!

Yes!! Just as 1muttsfan said handle them a lot and they will get used to you soon!! And as of phycoforsilkies...You are very right!! They loove mealworms!! I have been feeding my chickens mealworms for years!!! Good Luck!!

I also need chicken names for my new chicks!! <3
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom