Is it possible or is it just anxiety

Isopallii

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
I have 4, four week old baby chicks and there is one that will pace up and down the brooder while looking at me. I give them a lot of attention as much as I can and when I do, the one that paces will jump on my hand and climb up my arm. I will hang some fodder inside from my hand while they peck and eat it till it is all gone. At least once a day I pull back the covering and handle them so they get used to me, I also check for poopy butt and mites at least once a week. I dont see her being picked on by the others so I dont think that is an issue. I make sure I give them plenty to do throughout the day so they dont get bored. Sometimes, they get to play in a bowl of dirt and waddle in it, other times they will eat fodder from my hand, other times they will be introduced to a piece of tomato and one time I threw a small bouncy ball in the brooder to give them a bit of excitement.

I used to clean their brooder once a night, right before bedtime, for them but, they have moved into a bigger brooder that is actually a wooden table turned upside down with chicken wire around it at every table leg. I have a old table cloth covering the top so they cant fly out. This sits in my living room where the one in question can see me every day and paces back and forth while looking at me. She doesn't do this all the time, only a few times a day, I will catch her doing this.
I also have noticed her trying to climb up the chicken wire to try to get out it seems.

I dont know what to do, in order to calm her down or is this a normal thing?

Edit: Right now she is perched with the others and they are all quiet.

P.S. These chicks where hatched in my brooder and all were shrink wrapped and had to be helped

oh, is this your first hatch? don't worry, your bird will be fine and is probably a rooster, or the one who is the most dominant girl! I have a rhode island red, she did the same thing, and now she is second highest in social rank, just below my broiler boy:D

This is my first hatch, yes. I dont think none of them are roosters though. I will upload a picture of the one in question. The white one in the back is the bigger of them all and seems to be the boss but, the white one in the front is the pacer. The black one in the front is the rebel and takes the most risk of them all, first to fly, first to fly out of the brooder, ect...

Attachments

• chick4.jpg
    chick4.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 8
  • chick3.jpg
    chick3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 8
The big white one in back looks like a cockerel. The little one in front of it is lavender not white

Last edited:
Can you tell just by looking at them what kind of chicken they are? I bought them from Amazon as a backyard mix. I ordered 6 but received 8 and two didnt make it. If I would have followed the rules of chicken hatching and not my gut feeling then these would not have made it either. So glad I listened to my gut and rescued them from the shell. 😁

Can you tell just by looking at them what kind of chicken they are? I bought them from Amazon as a backyard mix. I ordered 6 but received 8 and two didnt make it. If I would have followed the rules of chicken hatching and not my gut feeling then these would not have made it either. So glad I listened to my gut and rescued them from the shell. 😁
Hard to tell if they’re mixes. But glad you saved them.

Back
Top Bottom