Week shelled eggs and sitting in death curl but still able to walk

diluxsha29

Hatching
May 20, 2021
I have a hen who has been laying week shelled eggs. She layed a perfect egg on Monday but all the eggs before were week shelled. After Monday I don't believe she has layed an egg. Last Friday she was in a death curl but with some yogurt and glucose the night before she was feeling better the next day. Everything seemed ok but today she again got into a Death curl. She is able to waddle back inside the coup but tries to stay in one spot most of the time. Her poo is almost just water with some urates in it.

Can you take a picture of this "death curl?" It would help.

Has she laid an egg since Monday? Have you felt her underside to see if there is a hard egg-shaped lump anywhere? If so, she may be egg bound.

I have a hen who has been laying week shelled eggs. She layed a perfect egg on Monday but all the eggs before were week shelled. After Monday I don't believe she has layed an egg. Last Friday she was in a death curl but with some yogurt and glucose the night before she was feeling better the next day. Everything seemed ok but today she again got into a Death curl. She is able to waddle back inside the coup but tries to stay in one spot most of the time. Her poo is almost just water with some urates in it.
When I say death curl I mean the hen looks egg bound. She has gone lethargic about once a week for the past 3 weeks. Her comb and wattles sometimes become pale when she is like this. Her poo looks normal. Sometimes its extra runny but I believe that is a heat issue since all of my hens are doing that and drinking more. I haven't seen blood in her poo. I initially thought she was egg bound but she hasn't laid anything, not even a broken soft shelled egg or a lump of shell with a side of half cooked egg. In the morning she does go to lay and makes that classic laying noise hens make but nothing comes out.

A picture of the "death curl" might be helpful.

I second the calcium tablet suggestion--a crushed up Tums mixed up in some soft food usually does the trick.

I know its not a calcium deficiency cos she eats a tonne of oyster shells and egg shells but I also gave her a few calcium tablets that didn't solve it. She isn't doing the death curl now but when she does she just looks egg bound

So she is still laying eggs even though she looks egg bound?

Without a picture or some other way to get eyes on the situation, we really can't do much to suggest anything. You may want to call an avian vet for advice.

20210601_155956.jpg
20210601_155950.jpg
20210601_155833.jpg

She has laid 2 eggs today. The first 2 are of the same egg and that one came first. The other one showed up maybe an hour or so later. The first one was thick shelled and came out cracked but intact and only popped in my hand spilling the yoke and stuff. I dont know how the other one came out because she had started eating it. I was left with a thin film of a shell. The whites felt alright but the yoke that was left smelled really eggy but I think it smelled normal.

Back
Top Bottom