Weekend one of my coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KarlK, Jan 15, 2018.

1. KarlK

KarlK Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Woodland, CA
    Hello All!

I posted a few days ago saying that I was going to start building a coop....people asked me to post updates, so here I am.

20180113_120200.jpg
    The coop is replacing a veggie bed (remnants can be seen above). First project on day one was moving the old bed. Lots of dirt moved, levelling etc. Bummer when you're itching to build something, but it's necessary!

Of course buying wood was one of the next parts of the project. I had some ideas in mind, but the details are still fuzzy. So I just got enough wood to start, and I had someone there to help me.. 20180114_095547.jpg

20180114_152514.jpg
    I wanted to check the size... I have a green belt/walking path next to my house. I figured it would be good to keep the roof below the fence line.

20180114_171405.jpg

Unfortunately that means I can't stand in the coop...but the rest of the family can. That's a different helper...he just looks a lot like the other one.

20180114_153753.jpg

This is my backyard workbench. I LOVE having a good place to work. (But I hate the air conditioner...) The chicken coop is directly behind where I am taking this picture. Best thing is...workbench about 7 feet from the coop! Power...tools...etc.

20180115_154305.jpg

And this. Huge thing for me...I put all my tools in a wagon to move from the garage to the backyard. This may not have anything to do with chickens...but it makes the build process so much nicer! I can get to work without lugging tools back and forth. I just leave the tools in here since this is the only project I'm working on right now.

20180115_115935.jpg

Okay, back to the coop. I added tons of diagonal bracing. Possibly (probably?) overkill, but my grandfather told me, "if it's worth building, it's worth over building." Or something like that...I always go overboard, but this thing is rock solid. The worst thing for a project like this is just allowing movement..which will loosen everything. No movement here.

Oh...I loved buying a big box of torx deck screws. I read some screws vs nails discussions here...but I went with screws. If I keep movement to a minimum, there should not be enough shear force to do any damage.

20180115_154710.jpg

Okay...I did go overboard. But that's the way I like it. Now you can see that most of the box is done. I will be adding a lot of braces to hold the nesting box, the door, roof, etc. Etc. But this is how far I got in the first weekend.

You can see my design idea for the joists. They will be supporting a corrugated roof. Clear, or green? What's best in an area that gets HOT (Over 105 in the summer)?

20180115_155404.jpg

I'd like to say what my plans are, but they keep changing. My wife said, 'slow down, take your time'. Awesome! That gives me time to review other coops to get some ideas. There are some BEAUTIFUL coops out there!

Really looking forward to this project...maybe 3 more weekends.

Size right now is about 4 feet wide by 10 feet long, and about 5'5" for the ceiling. I'm thinking about 4 chickens. Depending on damage to the yard, they will either be let out supervised or (hopefully) unsupervised each day.

Thrilled to be working on my chicken project!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    I posted the other day just checking on you, making sure you're alive .Well you are alive happy dance. And I see no injuries yet. Well I'm just here for support, cheer you on, that's what family does. :woot:goodpost::thumbsup:weeYou can do it :yesss::bun

3. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    If I could build chicken coops all day, all year I'd throw away my adult life for sawdust and chicken poop.

4. KarlK

KarlK Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Woodland, CA
    Thank you Misty! Keep checking on me...because I need to keep making progress!

5. KarlK

KarlK Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Woodland, CA
    Even your greatest dreams become a chore as soon as you get paid. But yes, building coops would be a great way to spend your days!

6. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
  7. Sunshine Flock

Sunshine Flock Crowing

Sep 27, 2017
    Northern California
    The construction looks great. I'm all about overkill. I sleep better at night.

Are you creating a flat roof, then? No snow, so no worries about the weight capacity, although that's a strong structure you're building. With corrugated roofing I expect the rain to roll off and not accumulate. I just don't know if you'll have a steady runoff or a lot coming off the roof in sheets.

I've been trying to figure that out for a section of my chicken run I'm roofing. The roof will have a very slight slope from builder error. I hung a fence board at the top at a slight angle, darn it, when I worked so hard to make everything level. But the teeny slop will help the water run off away from the coop, so I'm going to pretend I did that on purpose.

Last year (we're in Redding) we had a ridiculous amount of rain. I figured if I overlap the corrugated roofing by several inches (one sheet on top of the next) and make sure the overlap aligns with the supporting frame, I won't have any worries about the weight of rain. I'm just not sure what to expect as it flows off to the ground, especially with the roof sending water down onto the run roofing. Hopefully it'll all flush out on one end.

As for the chickens damaging your yard, they are quite excellent at digging up grass and vegetation. I think you'll enjoy having them out, but you could always build a nice fence from the corner of your house to the outer fence and give them a secure area to roam where they won't bother your landscaping.

I'm looking forward to following along with your build. Thanks for posting photos!!

8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Please do not forget lots of ventilation my turn to jump in now
    the women with 28 birds 3 coops

9. KarlK

KarlK Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Woodland, CA
    Carolina,

I ripped the 2X6 joist at an angle to provide slope. It has a 4 inch drop across 4.5 feet. Not a big slope...but good enough for rain.

If we ever get snow, this roof will be the least of my worries! We did have some snowflakes about 15 years ago...but that was rare, and nothing that stuck.

10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    your not likely to see snow either

11. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: