Weeping egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Red, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We were turning the eggs this morning and there was some crusted yellow stuff on the outside of the shell of an egg. We took the egg out and made the room as dark as possible to candle (however we are apalling at candling [​IMG] ) and we discovered a crack, which you can faintly see and feel in normal lighting, and there were white spotty things around the crack. We couldn't see much else. [​IMG]

It's day 12 - time to get rid of this egg, right? I feel bad doing it, but if i leave it in wouldn't it explode...? And i always thought with weeping eggs, the stuff was liquid. Does it go hard?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    throw it, it is definetely bad. Eggs should never become cursty and a chick would be very obvious at this point if the egg was good.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If there is a chick developing inside at this point and the fluid loss is very minimal then it can be sealed with wax. If there is nothing developing it is best to toss it and not risk a bacteria problem, and exploding egg in the incubator.

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the speedy replies [​IMG]

Well, we candled it again and can't see anything apart from the crack and white spots...we could see an aircell a few days ago but not anymore [​IMG] So we've taken the egg from the bator.

Thanks again for such super-fast replies, much appreciated!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    White spots could be the start of bacteria. The weeping could have been the first sign of a potential exploding egg. Glad you got that one out. You don't want to clean up after an explosion! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by