Weeping egg?

Red

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
We were turning the eggs this morning and there was some crusted yellow stuff on the outside of the shell of an egg. We took the egg out and made the room as dark as possible to candle (however we are apalling at candling
roll.png
) and we discovered a crack, which you can faintly see and feel in normal lighting, and there were white spotty things around the crack. We couldn't see much else.
sad.png

It's day 12 - time to get rid of this egg, right? I feel bad doing it, but if i leave it in wouldn't it explode...? And i always thought with weeping eggs, the stuff was liquid. Does it go hard?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you in advance!
smile.png

If there is a chick developing inside at this point and the fluid loss is very minimal then it can be sealed with wax. If there is nothing developing it is best to toss it and not risk a bacteria problem, and exploding egg in the incubator.

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies
big_smile.png

Well, we candled it again and can't see anything apart from the crack and white spots...we could see an aircell a few days ago but not anymore
hmm.png
So we've taken the egg from the bator.

Thanks again for such super-fast replies, much appreciated!

White spots could be the start of bacteria. The weeping could have been the first sign of a potential exploding egg. Glad you got that one out. You don't want to clean up after an explosion!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom