Weighing Live Birds?

What's your best technique for getting good weights on live birds?

I've got a fish scale and a 5-gallon bucket but my chickens keep jumping out of the bucket before I can get a solid weight.

I've done almost exactly that, but I added a small towel to the bucket and then zeroed the scale. Wrap the towel around the chicken, sit the wrapped chicken in the bucket, read the weight.

We use a postal scale for even our heaviest birds. Sure, they want to scramble off the thing as soon as we put them on it, but a few seconds of gentle words and a little petting seems to calm them down long enough to get an accurate weight...

could ya just drill a couple air holes and stick the lid on the bucket?

I don't have the strength to snap those lids on and off readily.

I've done almost exactly that, but I added a small towel to the bucket and then zeroed the scale. Wrap the towel around the chicken, sit the wrapped chicken in the bucket, read the weight.

I'll try this next time.

Even the calmest of the Cochins tries to jump out the moment I let go and the Lanshans, especially the cockerel, leap for freedom the moment their feet hit something to jump off of.

I don't have the strength to snap those lids on and off readily.

Just sitting the lid gently on the bucket, or laying a towel over the top of the bucket, might be enough. Many chickens will just stay put if it looks like they cannot jump out (although I've certainly had some that would try to go through anything, and bang their heads while trying.)

Back
Top Bottom