Weight Gain for Older Horse?

It is normal as a horse reaches old age to become thinner. As they age they use less calories because they are less active plus extra weight is hard on there whole body system. Don't worry to much if your horse is thinner then he use to be as long as he is eating a fair amount of food. Sounds like he is! Keeping hay in front of him is important. Also giving him pelleted hay is even better for him as it is already broke down and is easier to chew.
smile.png

I had an old rescue that I was fostering who was eating hay extender pellets because he could not chew hay very well.

I started giving my TB Purina Ultium. Yes, it is expensive, but he looks better than he ever has in the 7 years I've had him! He lost a lot of weight after the loss of my other TB and the sale of our QH mare.

This may have been bought up but have you had his teeth checked? The feeding routine sounds great so maybe this could be an issue.
I let my gelding go too long and he lost some weight. He is about that age.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.I have used calf manna for mares before foaling to help with milk production.It works for that.I agree that horses do lose as they get older and are worked less.It sounds like he is eating so it probably is not a problem with his teeth.You would see half-chewed lumps of hay around where he ate if his teeth were keeping him from chewing.The only thing I didn't see mentioned was de-worming.Even if you de-worm and rotate wormers you can still get a over-load of one type parasite or another.I would have a fecal test just to rule that out.Other than that I would just increase his feed and hay and see if he will eat more and if he gains weight if he eats more.My farrier once told me,vet agreed,old folks don't go to the old folks home to fatten up.I reckon he meant its just part of getting older.Hope everything works out.
smile.png

Thanks guys. I've decided to up the senior and the beet pulp for now and see how that goes. I should have mentioned in my original post - I have the vet out every 6 months to do shots and check teeth. She was here this spring and he was floated and she'll be back in about a month for their fall checkup. I don't think teeth are the issue based on what I've seen with him but in any case she'll be back out to check really soon. He is on a regular deworming schedule and I rotate wormers every few times so I don't believe that is the issue either. Hopefully the increase in feed will help. He's not horrifically skinny but I would like a little more padding for winter if possible!

I had an ancient mare that got thin. I bought a complete feed from the feed store. I don't know what it was called but it was essentially chopped hay with a little grain. I added a coffee can or so of COB to it twice a day and fed it free choice. She also had access to pasture. The difference in her condition after she was on this feed for just a couple of weeks had to be seen to be believed.

Since your vet is coming for Fall shots why not ask what he/she suggests?

My WB was a little ribby coming out of Winter and my vet suggested adding alfalfa hay.
But he is just 17 so I took a Wait & See break and the good Spring grass filled him out just fine.
For your Old Guy maybe make a mush of soaked alfalfa cubes as long as the added calcium & protein won't be a problem.
My feedstore is selling a haylage mixture now - baled but chopped - not sure what all is in it as I have no need, but maybe something for you to look into.

canesisters:
I had a Poison Detector TB too, but your mare takes it to a whole new level!
Hope you find the Magic Potion to get her packing on the pounds

I like my horses a tad on the Chubular side going into Winter.

I had a horse that lived to be 35 years, from 30-35 his teeth started falling out
when he started loosing weight
I found these balls of chewed stems that he did not swallow
so I would shake the flakes of alfafa and feed him the leaves.(Stems went to younger horses)
also Purina has Equine Senior that has soft pellets that he could chew.
He put on 200lb in 1 summer

down side was that he got thrush from all the protein

edited to add he was born in Ellensburg WA traveled all over the US with me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom