Weight loss, lethargic, diarriah, gasping...ruled out mareks. Flocked wormed and supplemented with v

Justem

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
I have had a few effected by something resulting in death after 3-4 days. Chicken becomes lethargic and loses weight fast. Sometimes can be seen gasping. I have given vitamins and have wormed the flock. I'm fairly confident it's not mareks. I have not used antibiotics....I've been trying to avoid that but I am at the stage now where I will try anything. I haven't lost too many but with loss to Hawks, minks and feral cats I don't want a disease issue too!

Ivermectin is not a wormer that kills chicken worms. I t is only good for mites.

Most of the symptoms you listed could be from an infestation of worms. Safeguard or Valbazen will kill any worms chickens get if they are properly dosed.

It was a poultry wormer I just wasn't sure what it wascalled. But either way I've been raising birds for over 20 years and am sure this isn't worms...I'm sure it is a virus of some sort...it's not something I've encountered before. I think my only choice is to try antibiotics.

I have had a few effected by something resulting in death after 3-4 days. Chicken becomes lethargic and loses weight fast. Sometimes can be seen gasping. I have given vitamins and have wormed the flock. I'm fairly confident it's not mareks. I have not used antibiotics....I've been trying to avoid that but I am at the stage now where I will try anything. I haven't lost too many but with loss to Hawks, minks and feral cats I don't want a disease issue too!
It must be mareks I have had many chickens over the course of 5 years just become all limp they can't eat or poop and die within days.

Back
Top Bottom