Weird behavior

munchkinsmommy

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2017
Despite my six chickens (8 weeks old) having plenty of room to walk around in a run they tend to stay up in the coop and nesting boxes all day long. The run is well secured, has a roof/cover and lots of stuff to peck at plus the food and water are down there. Every time I walk outside however they are up in the coop.

My chickens tend to be big...well, chickens at that age. Is there anything in the run that could be blowing in the wind or moving? Are there any other animals around outside of the run? How long have they been in the coop? If it's only been a few days to a week, they may just need more time to adjust.

They hav been in the coop but we had to move it so they would get more sun. Perhaps that is it. Nothing blowing around that I notice but I will go out and pretend to be a chicken and look lol. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chickens generally don't like change. It sounds like they are familiar with the coop but not the run. Sometimes when I first open the pop door to the run after the chicks have been in the coop for a week or so all the chicks are on the ground within 15 minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of days before the first one hits the ground. Each brood is different. If you can post a photo of the coop/run we might be able to spot something but probably all it will take is patience.

I had to herd mine to the pop door and then gently urge them out at the top of the ladder the first time. That night I had to place them up at the top of the ladder because they seemed to want to roost on a piece of driftwood in the run. They never made it to their indoor roosts. One slept on the window framing and the others in a heap in the bedding.

The following morning I found them congregated at the pop door and shooed them a bit. After that, I have found them out in the run in the morning and they take to the coop at night. Last night, once in, they settled on their roost. Seems they've figured out Life as Chickens by the end of their first week here.

Back
Top Bottom