Weird black specks on chickens. Help!

Peytons Poultry

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
So today i found this black stuff on my roosters wattles and my hens toe. it seems to be the skin that is black, like a scab sort of. This isn't skin cancer is it?

What is it and what should i do?

It started a couple days ago and has spread to my others now getting worse please help

Yes but it looks worse just in 2- 3 days has doubled and spread to 3 chiks thought 1 was picking on others for seen it first on comb but now on waffles havent checked feet. Will try to get pic

That looks like dried blood as a result of pecking to me rather than any skin complaint. If it was cancer, it would be extremely unlikely to be on more than one bird....cancer is not catching....it would be a very odd coincidence that more than one of your birds would spontaneously develop cancer at the same time.

I would keep a close eye on the birds and watch for squabbles as it may be that something has unsettled your flock and now they are fighting with each other. Combs, wattles and feet are a prime 'attack zone'. Also check them for any sort of parasite that may be causing bites.....though again, that looks far more likely to have been as a result of a peck than an insect bite.

What about rats? Could it be possible that you have rats getting into your coop at night and they are attacking the chickens? Where do you live? Are vampire bats native to your area? I know they are found in parts of South America.

Look for something that is causing injury rather than this being a disease.....swab the black stuff with a wet cotton pad....this will tell you if that is blood or not as the pad will go pink/red.

Last edited:

I think its just dried blood from them fighting and injuring eachother's combs. It happens all the time with chickens. The "spreading" might just be more injuries appearing on the comb. Put some antibiotic ointment on the marks to help heal them, if you want, and watch your flock closely. If it is just one bird injuring the others, you might want to separate it, even if its just temporary.

I'm not sure if it's from fighting, he's the only roo. I live in north Carolina. My coop is off the ground, so I don't think rats are possible

Back
Top Bottom