Weird black ?

When I first suspected that I gave everyone calcium tablets to everyone ,dairy low fat products first month but still nothing didn’t change with her.
If she were mine, I'd do calcium gluconate 2x/day for at least a week. But I have a small flock, so it's easier for me.

Other than that, I'd think it was something internal, like an infection. Antibiotics might be worth considering.

I am curious how you individually gave 700 calcium tablets to 700 hens.
Pretty sure they just put it in water or something. I'm also pretty sure they culled this one. Not sure how they even figured out it was this one RIR. It would be really difficult to do all of that with 700 hens and then take the time to cure this one hen.

The whole thing seems strange to me.

Pretty sure they just put it in water or something. I'm also pretty sure they culled this one. Not sure how they even figured out it was this one RIR. It would be really difficult to do all of that with 700 hens and then take the time to cure this one hen.

The whole thing seems strange to me.
Yes we have put tablets in water ,no we don’t cull our chickens ,she’s isolated and treated with proper medication.As how we know who did it,I just know who lays what kind of egg and when it’s laid.We also have cameras inside coop and around coop/run.I find nothing difficult for me.

Yes we have put tablets in water ,no we don’t cull our chickens ,she’s isolated and treated with proper medication.As how we know who did it,I just know who lays what kind of egg and when it’s laid.We also have cameras inside coop and around coop/run.I find nothing difficult for me.
I have always wanted to put a camera in the coop!

And that's great that she's isolated and being treated! Most farms don't take the time to do that. Have you tried the calcium gluconate or antibiotics???

With 700 hens that’s quite bit difficult.
And you did kinda say it was difficult to treat this one hen when you have 700. Sorry if I misunderstood?

I would think it WOULD be difficult, since you acquired so many hens recently. Kudos to you! The very thought is exhausting to me! Though I find it a little risky given that you suspected you have a carrier of LL or Marek's. I hope that's not what's wrong with your RIR...

Last edited:
I have always wanted to put a camera in the coop!

And that's great that she's isolated and being treated! Most farms don't take the time to do that. Have you tried the calcium gluconate or antibiotics???
She’s currently receiving gluconate and antibiotics.Yes it’s unfortunate most farm these days don’t take for their sick animals.

And you did kinda say it was difficult to treat this one hen when you have 700. Sorry if I misunderstood?

I would think it WOULD be difficult, since you acquired so many hens recently. Kudos to you! The very thought is exhausting to me! Though I find it a little risky given that you suspected you have a carrier of LL or Marek's. I hope that's not what's wrong with your RIR...
I know everyone is freaked out about LL and Merek Disease,I’m not at all.We vaccinate all our birds against merek,so I never had that.I treat my birds like family members.

Back
Top Bottom