Weird broody hen and new mama situation

sashanellie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2015
So I have 2 chicks being raised by their mama who are about 3 weeks old. In the coop are also 2 broody hens on eggs that should be hatching this week. The 3 week old chicks are often found on top of and in the feathers of one of the broody hens, while their mama is off scratching and dust-bathing, and generally abandoning them! This week, the broody hen has been out a LOT more than before, and she is making those clucky mama hen sounds and caring for the other chicks, while she leaves her eggs in the coop. I fear she has become confused and thinks these are her chicks, and doesn't know what to do about the eggs anymore!

Anyone else ever experienced this weird situation? Should I take her eggs and put them under the other broody hen, or just let nature take its course?

You should know that this is "Big Mama Fuzz," a giant splash cochin, with more feathers than any hen I've ever seen, lol. The 3 week old chicks can easily disappear inside her fluffiness.

That's what I was worried about. She's still on the eggs. You can see the situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_093637631.jpg
    IMG_20210706_093637631.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 43
I agree that the presence of the chicks may cause her to leave her eggs permanently. I'd either move the chicks or fire up an incubator if I wanted to hatch those eggs.

Well this morning she was in the sun with the chicks so I put her eggs under the other broody mama. It's amazing how some hens are just born to be mothers!

Update. She was off them again, caring for the older ones. Do I moved her eggs under the other sitting hen. Today 4 chicks have hatched so far. Fuzz sat near them and clucked until one burrowed under her. So I separated her from the new ones. She just seems to love all chicks!

Back
Top Bottom