1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird brown stuff in my eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mesa, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Ok this is really gross, some of my eggs have what looks like pieces of hamburger in the egg white part. Only one hen was laying eggs like this...now two of them are. Some of the "bits" are teeny and some of those are as big as a lentil! It's just nasty. I dont know what it is, or what causing the eggs to have these weird nasty things in them.
    It's been going on several months now. I wormed the hens when I first noticed this, fearing the bits were worms or something.
    I am totally clueless.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Look up "meat spots". It is normal, not bad for you, and often genetic. To reduce it in flocks... you just never hatch those eggs and/or cull the hens doing it.

3. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Oh man, thats just disgusting lol. I guess the eggs with meat spots will be thrown to the dogs.

4. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Quote:I think what silkiechicken was saying is that they are safe to eat, but since it is a genetic thing...you don't want to let fertile eggs hatch.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Off topic, but GREAT Avatar Pheonix! And I have a sister in Gilbert,but she doesn't like chickens. [​IMG]

Mesa , can we see pics of the meat spots? I think they might creep me out, too.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  6. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Quote:I was the lucky recipient of the meat spot this morning lol Its from a dozen of eggs Mesa gave me.

The little white speck in the middle isn't part of it, its something I must have done when I was resizing it.

[​IMG]

7. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Quote:Gilbert is great, very chicken friendly. And thanks about my avi!

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thanks for the pic, Jojo. I would not want to eat that either. I'd probably just pick out the meat spot, rather than waste the whole egg, though. Fresh eggs are too yummy!

9. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    That's what I did this time. The first time I found one though, I was so grossed out I tossed the whole thing lol

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Thats just yucky, wouldnt be picking that out plenty of other eggs without. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by