weird bump on my goats shoulder???

That happened with my lamb and it turned out to be an abcess and it had to be lanced(cut open) It probably didn't go though all the way and may be/get infected.
Can you take a picture?

i will take a picture when i get home. i dont think it is infected or anything, but i will add pics tonight/ thank you guys for all your help.

It's probably a abcess.
You can get it lanced for pretty cheap at a large animal vet. maybe 30 dollars. It depends on where you live and what the vets are like. Thats what it cost us anyways.
It's not a major thing, but needs care eventually.

Quote:
I disagree, based on the description and location. C/D & T vaccine is known for it's granulation at the injection site...I'm almost positive this is what is being dealt with.

ok, so if it is a granulation, which i think it is, did my goats still get the effects of the vaccine? i sure hope so. i am going to get into the vet next time they come through town and see if they cant remove the bumps. helmsted- have you never had a problem with granulation with IM injections? thanks

Sounds like an injection site reaction to me as well. If you're using any cloistridials (I use an 8 way) the reaction is normal and inspected. It's just best to leave the bumps alone. You can lance them and drain them, but then you risk infection. The lumps don't hurt them in any way.

Quote:
Well ya know...I don't know. I give the IM injection so deeply in the thigh muscle that if it does create a granulation, it's not appreciable.

Notably, the adults that I SQ'ed last year didn't develop granulations...I've only noted it in kids.

And, yes, the vaccine was still effective.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with removal. You risk infection. If it's anything like removing a growth on a horse...than you're talking an incision and stitches. Why bother when it's merely asthetic...?

Back
Top Bottom