1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird Chicken Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctbicking, Aug 8, 2016.

1. ctbicking

ctbicking New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Lately my chickens have been acting a little weird and I don't know why. They run around their coop aggreviated and flapping their wings a lot and clucking. Are they supposed to be acting this way, or is there something wrong?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    More information is needed, they could be broody, or they could need more exercise. To me it sounds like you have a couple of broody hens.

3. ctbicking

ctbicking New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    I'm new to "chickening" so please don't laugh, but what are broody hens?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Everyone is new at some point, so no laughing from me. A broody hen wants to sit and hatch eggs. It's a hormonal phase. They puff up, cluck repeatedly, screech when you try to remove them from the nest and are a bit obnoxious. They also stop laying eggs.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    A broody hen is one getting ready to hatch (or brood) chicks.

I can't say I've noticed mine flapping their wings and running around when broody though, for me I know they are because they spend all day in the nesting box and growl under their breaths when I try and move them.

It's hard to guess the reason without knowing a bit more about your flock.

How old are they?

How many are there?

How big is your run for them?

i did wonder if it's a young flock and maybe you've got a rooster or two trying for top spot.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good questions posted by appps........my younger birds run around flapping their wings all the time, older ones do it too but less frequently.
    I think it's like us stretching our arms out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by