Weird chicken sound

TattooedChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
Spring City Pennsylvania
Hey y'all. I need a little help. A little bit ago I went out to check on my chickens and noticed that my Colombian Wyandotte, Louise, was making a sound I've never heard. She's got her mouth open and she's making a constant almost goose like sound. I immediately brought her inside away from the flock. I did some quick googling but couldn't find much. We lost Louise's sister, Thelma, a month or so ago due to the heat so my first thought was its heat related as it was very hot and humid here today.
She's a month shy of a year old and she laid an egg today. Her eyes and nose look clear. Her crop feels normal, her lungs sound fine and I couldn't see anything down her throat. I plan on checking again when my husband gets home tonight so he can help hold on to her while I look.
Any advice would be amazing. Thank you!

That sound I think is just the sound hens make when being "thoughtful" or slightly irritated. My hens seem to do it when they are hoping for food but aren't sure they will get it, or when considering a nest box. It is kind of like a honking.

I'm sorry about your loss of Thelma.
sad.png

I hope this link helps: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-helping-chickens-survive-high.html

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom