Weird comb on my Partridge Rock chick?

GeneGoddess

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Maryland
So I got my chicks last week and didn't really notice at the time, but one of the PR's has a "weird" comb. PICS below, obviously... I know that they are supposed to have a single comb and my other PR seems to be developing a normal looking comb. But this "weird" one is almost like a scab and is dark. Do you think it was damaged or hurt? Normal behaviour, etc. Any ideas? Oh, and please ignore the posture. I was getting the evil "take the darn camera AWAY" look.

PRWeirdComb.jpg

PR2.jpg

Anyone? The first pic is my PR with a weird comb. The second is the comb on her (?) normal sister (?). This is the only one of my chicks with a comb that looks like this.

Quote:
I agree with speckledhen-they seem to be developing the gold lacing already. My PR chicks' feather patterns looked nothing like that at the age of your chicks. I will admit, that is a pretty odd looking comb-even for a GLW(they have, for the most part, rose combs).
By the way, that is an awesome example of "stink eye" in your first pic!
gig.gif

I've been surfing the web to look for pics of PR chicks and GLW chicks. God knows I could have mixed up the two. I have a pair of each. But three have what looks like a single comb and one has a weird comb. I'll post a pic of what I thought was a GLW below.

Is this a GLW or PR or something else?
GLWa.jpg

Quote:
ohhhhh big eyes lol

or maybe I'm forgetting how chicks looked! I haven't had chicks since a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

Quote:
Ah! Makes some sense (saw an internet pic of this). So I guess my updated question is: What's with the
weird SINGLE comb on my other GLW and is what I thought was a GLW really my partridge rock?

Boy, I'm feeling kinda dumb right now...

That chick with the single comb is not a Wyandotte. That could be your PR. The feathering/pattern is completely different. (though some Wyandottes have single combs from their Cochin ancestry, the proper comb is a rose comb)

Back
Top Bottom