Weird 'Dance'?

I wouldn't let him get to close to your shoes, I've read some posts were people have left their shoes out on the deck and have come back to find them covered in seamen!
ep.gif

I have to say this 'sideways skitter' of his is pretty amusing ^_^ .
Still, I should check whether the eggs are fertile or not soon as he might have put full interest in me and not in his 'wife' Newbie
hmm.png

Anyhow, for the time being, me and Fluffy are gay buddies
tongue.png

he is challenging you. I knoew it looks cute but stop it now, but when his spurs come in and he starts flogging you it wont be. When mine have done it, I pick them up and carry them around for awhile. It embarrasses them in front of the ladies.

Yep, my rooster did the same dance with a growling noise that is very similar to the Velociraptor from the movie Jurassic Park (pretty scary sound!) I have now taken to carrying a big, thick stick with me whenever I'm in the backyard, he knows not to challenge me when I have that stick because it makes his backside hurt
lol.png

Try carrying some treats with you whenever you go out in the chicken yard - when the roo comes toward you, toss some treats out to distract him. Shouldn't take long before he stops thinking of you as a potential mate, and begins seeing you as a source of food instead! Then he should start calling the hens over for treats, and doing his fancy dance for them instead of you. The bromance is cute for a while but you don't want it to end in tears!

I agree with those that say stop it now. It may look cute, but it's the first step in challenging you. When you don't do what he wants you to do it will escalate to biting, flogging and/or spurring.

You should be honored.

Maybe pick him up every time, turn him tummy to the sky and tell him he's all pretty and all.

Sorta throw him off his manly game. Let him know YOU are the main roo.

Course you might not want to play domination games with your chickens... lol

Quote:
He rarely bites (Doesn't hurt that much), hasn't flogged yet and doesn't have a spur yet and he's been doing it for a few weeks now, I might try showing him the females...

Last edited:
Definitely stop him now. Be very careful with picking him up and carrying him around. You don't want to be THAT BIG. You just want to show him that you will not be dominated. For the most part, it comes with the territory of roosters, especially when their hormones start kicking in. The 2 step is primarily a mating dance, but young roos will dance at each other, more of comparing notes and proving they are better than the others.

The simplest method of dealing with it is to follow him around the coop and make him move. Anytime you are around, make a simple point out of walking towards him. He will get the picture. Otherwise, let him be a rooster with the ladies. You want him to know you are the boss, without teasing or coming across like a butt hole. Only escalate to break up actual fights. The dominate roo will do that when the hens get into it, so follow their pattern. If you let it continue, it may turn into flogging down the road. Be someone he knows not to challenge, but let him do his antics like he is supposed to, just not to you.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom