Weird: Dead Rooster in Nestingbox

rdl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
Any ideas on what happened to my rooster?

Imagine my suprise when I came home yesterday to find my white rock rooster (around 8 months old) dead in one of my nesting boxes. He was a very active rooster with no signs of sickness. There was no blood. Though his legs seemed to be affected by rigor mortis, his head was able to flop around. I thought that maybe his neck was broken, but perhaps rigor mortis does not affect the neck like the rest of the body.

The most unusual thing to me is that I can't imagine why he was in the nesting box at all. His rear was in the air, almost like a hen laying eggs. And there were the usual number of eggs lying next to him.

Any ideas?

Thats strange .. The head may have gone past rigor mortis.. It only lasts for so long then will lossen up again.. My ducks that were killed were in rigor when i found them but were pliable when I went to bury them.. Not sure what would have cause his death though.. Do you have poisinous snakes around you??

Maybe he was dying-something like heart failure-and he wanted the safety and security of the small box while he did not feel well. My dog runs into the house to vomit. My only idea on why that happens is he does not feel well and wants to be safe around his humans. (or it is a power thing-look what I can make that human clean up!)
I am sorry that your bird died. I wonder how common internal defects are, especially in hatchery birds.

Quote:
That makes sense. I'm so sorry you lost him.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I also wonder about that. I've had very similar cases as well with mine, but certainly not of a rooster doing that! I hope it was a snake bite, and not something you should seriously take into worry with the rest of the flock. So sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif

While I have no idea why he was in the nest box other than not feeling well and looking for a private place to rest, I do know that chickens are birds and unlike dogs or cats very fragile. Illness like cats and dogs are more common in purebreds. Sudden death is also not uncommon. I have a friend who had the same thing happen w/ a hen. She was found wedged near a rock. No other signs of injury. I lost 3 to a coon attack but I suspect the coon had only attacked the one bird. The others died like people in a crush to get out of a burning building or a Walmart black friday sale.
The only real way to know why he died would be an autopsy. One thing is certain you bore no responsibity to his demise, and that should be comforting. I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Sincerely Rancher

My Rooster sets in the nestbox with his favorite hen as she lays, he will even set on her eggs for a bit after she leaves them.
maybe he had a favorite in the nest when he climbed in there?
wee.gif

My Ameraucana roo gets in the nest with his girls. Maybe he did the same. No idea why he died though. Sorry for your loss!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom